The Municipal Museum of Subotica was founded in 1948, while its seat has always been connected to some art nouveau buildings. It resided in Raichle Palace after its foundation in 1948, in 1967 its was moved to the Town Hall, while since 2008, the Museum has been located in another art nouveau building, built as single-story mansions based on the design of architects, brothers József and László Vágó from Budapest in 1906. The Museum in Subotica was intended to be and founded as a complex museum, namely today it has natural, art, archaeological, ethnologic and historic collections of objects collected from the territory of the three municipalities in North Bačka District – Subotica, Bačka Topola and Mali Iđoš. The Museum also has a reference library and a department for restoration and conservation. Because of its moving to its current location in 2008, the Museum has still not got its permanent exhibition, but it has been working on its preparation. Meanwhile, there have been organised several thematic exhibitions in the exhibitory rooms, which also present several objects from the Museum’s collection, and there have been some guest exhibitions too. As a subsidiary of the Museum of Subotica, there was founded the Museum of Bačka Topola in 2002. The business activities of the Museum were enriched with a Gift Shop in 2004, which has been placed on the ground floor of the Town Hall and serves as an art gallery and souvenir shop (Vuković Dulić 2007).
Ljubica Vuković Dulić
1. Vuković Dulić (2007): Izložbena djelatnost Gradskog muzeja Subotica. Museion 6. 94-95