The first church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Bajša, built from adobe, was consecrated in 1762. Thanks to the patronage (Baron Vojnich from Bajsa), in 1816 the church was rebuilt from solid material, very proportionately, with classical notes. József Schmitt (around 1760 – after 1830), a painter from Pest made the main altar-piece of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the painting of the side-altar showing Saint Wendelin, both in 1817. The painting of Saint Matthew on the other side-altar is the work of an unknown artist. On the place of the classical former pulpit, there was placed a modern, but low standard portrait of Saint Stephen. The statue of the Blessed Virgin was most likely placed on the high altar of the former church. This provincial wooden statue from the 18th century might get to Bajsa with the mediation of Franciscans from Subotica, since the presentation of the “mulier amicta sole” (a woman clothed with the sun, surrounded by sunbeams in the form of mandorla, having the crescent moon under her feet and a crown of 12 stars around her head – the vision of apocalypse) is a popular type of statue and icon among the Franciscans. This presentation is practically the synopsis of the Roman Catholic Mariology, since it expresses the entire doctrine of Mary. The classical, red marble tombs of the Vojnich family can also be seen in the church.
Korhecz Papp Zsuzsanna
Damján, Zsolt (2009): Kétszázötven év. A bajsai római katolikus egyházközség története. Čikoš group. Szabadka.