The foundation-stone of the Saint Theresa of Avila parish church in Subotica was placed down in 1773, but the monumental building designed by Ferenc Kaufmann, an architect from Pest was completed only in 1797, due to the lack of material resources. Concerning its exterior, the building indicates much similarity with the cathedral in Kalocsa. The pediment is decorated by a stone statue of Frigyes Held titled Immaculata. Originally, all nine altar-pieces were painted by József Schöfft (1776–1851), a painter from Pest, between 1802 and 1820, in his characteristic style that is on the borderline between Baroque and Classicist art. The structures of the subsidiary altars were demolished around 1970. The stained-glass windows of the church of Saint Theresa in Subotica were made of Academic style in 1893 – in the Bavarian Royal Stained-glass Workshops in Munich – as well as the wall paintings and the two altar-pieces, also made by Bavarian artists, Emmanuel Walch and Casper Schleibner.
The Holy Trinity statue in Subotica, which was formerly placed in the main square, had been raised by Mátyás Vojnits, a local nobleman in 1814, made by master mason Karl Salzer from Sombor.
Korhecz Papp Zsuzsanna
Gajdos, Tibor (1995): Szabadka képzőművészete. Életjel, Szabadka.