The first orthodox church of the Ascension of Our Lord (1723) was erected between 1726 and 1736; it was enlarged in 1804, while during its renovation of Neo-Baroque style that was finished by 1910, the much-valued iconostasis, made by an unknown master in 1766, was removed to the Orthodox church of Saint Demetrius in Aleksandrovo (1818), while instead of it, there was placed a new iconostasis of Academic style. There were made eight stained-glass windows by the Tyrolean Stained-glass Workshop in Innsbruck during the last monumental renovation, but some of these were destroyed during the bombing in World War II. The remained ones have been complemented with some weaker stained-glass windows recently. The new iconostasis was made in Academic style with art nouveau elements in 1910 by Hans Lukesch, a painter from Vienna, under the supervision of Pajo Jovanović, the famous Serbian painter. The console wall was made by the Rátai and Benedek workshop from Budapest. Noble Máté Vojnich of Bajsa had raised a large-sized, red marble cross in the church yard in 1832.
Korhecz Papp Zsuzsanna
Ljubičić, Sava – Bolić, Goran (2003): Crkva Vaznesenja Gospodnjeg Subotica / Az Úr mennybemenetele-templom Szabadka. Međuopštinski zavod za zaštitu spomenika kulture Subotica / Községközi Műemlékvédelmi Intézet Szabadka. Subotica / Szabadka.